Job title: Russian Language Copywriter
Location: Prague, Czech Republic or remote based in Central or Eastern Europe
Reports to: Communications Officer
Application deadline: February 5, 2022
The Prague Civil Society Centre supports and empowers civil society and independent media in Eastern Europe and Central Asia. As a grant maker and capacity-building organisation, it’s our job to make sure activists and journalists, many of whom work in some of the region’s most repressive countries, get the support they need.
As our Russian Language Copywriter, you’ll play a key role in our Communications team by using your creative talents to help us better reach our audience of activists, independent journalists and NGOs in Eastern Europe and Central Asia. If you’re interested in civil society and independent media in the region and you’ve got a flair for storytelling, please read on.
This is a part-time position (15-20 hours per week), preferably based in Prague, but we are also open to remote cooperation with someone based in Central or Eastern Europe.
• Work closely with the Communications Officer to create Russian language content aimed at civic activists, independent journalists and NGOs in Eastern Europe and Central Asia (articles, interviews, videos, online events, social media post, etc…).
• In cooperation with the Communications Officer and Programme Officers , write and edit Russian language calls for applications to participate in our programmes, programme descriptions, and other web content related to our programmes.
• Take an active role in community engagement on the Centre’s social media channels. Help maintain and improve our current platforms and identify new audiences.
• Monitor regional media for developments in the civic sector and on the issues activists care about.
• Attend some of the Centre’s programmes online and in person to build relationships with activists in order to better tell their stories and create content relevant for them.
• Pitch your own story ideas as well as take assignments.
• Any other Russian copywriting, editing or translation as needed.
• Experience creating multimedia digital content and a knack for adapting content for different platforms;
• Social media management experience;
• Previous involvement in civic activism and understanding of the civic landscape in Eastern Europe and Central Asia. Familiarity with civil society networks and initiatives in the region;
• A good understanding of the challenges facing civil society and independent media in authoritarian countries;
• Native level Russian—ability to write clear and engaging texts on a variety of topics of interest to civic activists and independent journalists in Eastern Europe and Central Asia;
• Professional fluency in English (comfortable conversing with colleagues in an international environment);
• Ability to translate short to medium length texts from English to Russian in a unique and confident voice, staying faithful to the key information conveyed in the original while avoiding overly literal translation;
• Previous experience working with NGOs a plus;
• Basic graphic design skills welcome;
The position is a part-time (15-20 hours per week) role based either in Prague or remotely in Central or Eastern Europe.
Interested candidates should fill in the candidate information form, including their CV and motivation letter in English, as well as two writing samples of around 500 words each in Russian. All documents must be in PDF format. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Should you have additional questions, contact us at email@example.com.
*The information provided in the applications is subject to EU legislation on protection of personal data and confidentiality of information.